As a Member of Melchiode, Marks, King, Jennifer excels in quick decision-making and has created a successful litigation practice. Upon admission to the bar, Jennifer had the unique opportunity to serve as an Assistant Attorney General for the Louisiana Department of Justice and aiding the state of Louisiana, and its various state figures, with the U.S. Congressional investigation of the handling of Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. Jennifer then gained meaningful courtroom experience as an Assistant Attorney General in both criminal and civil matters. This position allowed Jennifer to travel throughout the state of Louisiana litigating in each distinct parish. In doing so, Jennifer was able to see first hand the diversities of a multitude of jurisdictions throughout the state, which is extremely helpful in her civil practice today.
Jennifer maintains a diverse civil defense practice, ranging from insurance defense, construction, entertainment law, corporate litigation, subrogation, collections, commercial and general liability and workers’ compensation. On behalf of her clients, Jennifer has secured various dismissals on motions alone and successfully mediated a multitude of matters ranging from property damages to cases which have included serious bodily injury. Further, Jennifer has won multiple decisions through oral argument on the appeals court level and has obtained full defense verdicts at trial.
Jennifer is an active runner and enjoys participating in marathons, and indulging in all of the events New Orleans has to offer, including music and food festivals, wonderful restaurants, unique shops and hidden charms of the city, only known by locals. As nearly most hours of a litigator are spent inside of the office, Jennifer enjoys nearly any activity outdoors.
Jennifer has been selected as a current and past Louisiana SuperLawyer, Rising Star.
Areas of Practice
- Bad-Faith/Extra-Contractual Defense
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Commercial Litigation
- First-Party Property
- Environmental and Toxic Tort
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Retail, Restaurant and Hospitality
- Employer’s Liability/Workers’ Compensation
- B.A., Southeastern Louisiana University (2002)
- J.D., Summa Cum Laude, Southern University Law Center (2005)
- All Louisiana local, state, and federal courts
- Louisiana United States District Courts – Eastern, Western, Middle District of Louisiana
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) and Young Lawyers Section of DRI Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP)
- National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC)